Bloom awards given out as gardeners’ efforts rewarded
MORE than 100 people attended the Wells in Bloom awards evening at the Town Hall on September 20.
Certificates and trophies were handed out to dozens of worthy winners by Mayor of Wells Councillor Celia Wride.
“One of my dreams when I became a councillor was to join Wells in Bloom because it is so worthwhile and does such a good job for our city,” she said.
She presented a special Mayoral Award to Jenny Jones who has been a volunteer with Wells in Bloom for 17 years and is now retiring from the post of Schools Competition Secretary.
John Beauchamp told the audience: “Every year the Wells in Bloom committee are amazed at the skill of you gardeners.”
He said that this year had been a bigger challenge than usual after snow, rain, and then a blistering heatwave.
“And yet once again you’ve come up trumps,” he said.
“The three judges had their work cut out trying to decide which garden was better than another because they all have their points to offer.”
Wells in Bloom Roll of Honour
• Private house front garden: Bronze: Mr R Thorne; Tony and Maureen Bishop; Silver: Mary Read; Silver Gilt: Adrian Guise; Gold: Madge Feltham.
• Private house back garden: Bronze: Helen Lovell; Denise Denis; Tony and Maureen Bishop; Silver: Richard Leworthy; Silver Gilt; Madge Feltham; Gold: Adrian Guise.
• Flower containers: Bronze: Tina Blackwill; Mr M R Day; Silver: Kath Bristow; Silver Gilt: Colin Westley; Gold: Graham Talbot
• Fronts of hotels and public houses: Bronze: Swan Hotel; Just Ales; Silver: The Sun Inn; Silver Gilt: The Globe Inn; Gold: The Britannia Inn.
• Courtyards of hotels and public houses: Bronze: Swan Hotel; Silver: The Crown; Silver Gilt: The Sun Inn; Gold: The Globe Inn.
• Businesses: Silver: Swan Hotel; Silver Gilt: The Crown; Gold: Rock House.