Ram’s Kebabs van set to reopen soon

August 01 2018
Thumbnail Image

THE Ram’s Kebabs van could soon be back in business in Wells.

Members of Mendip District Council’s planning board have agreed to let Ram’s Kebabs operate in a corner of the Kudos car park for an 18-month trial period.

The van, run by Ramazan Ibrahim, had previously operated at the hand car wash site on the opposite side of Princes Road until having to move to make way for the new units being taken by Pets Corner and Domino’s.

The street trading licence to allow Ram to trade still needs to be approved, but if that goes through as anticipated, the kebab van could be open in Wells again in August.

“I’m looking forward to opening here again,” Ram told Wells Voice. “So many people have said they missed it.”

At the planning board meeting on July 18, Councillor Danny Unwin said that the van had “been the subject of quite a bit of controversy” at its previous site.

“There have been complaints, there has been enforcement, there has been littering. I want to support local businesses but we also have to think of people living locally and the impact on them,” he said.

He proposed approving the plan for the hot food takeaway unit for a temporary period to see how things went.

Councillor Damon Hooton said: “We want to encourage business. Not allowing this gentleman to continue his business by moving 50m seems counter to that.”

Other councillors voiced their support for a trial period, with a request from Councillor Clive Mockford to ensure there were bins in the car park for customers to dispose of their waste.

At the start of the meeting Councillor Celia Wride, representing Wells City Council, said that the council objected to the application on several grounds, including concerns that the van would encourage loitering and noise, that the agreed hours of operation would be exceeded, and that the site would affect a residential area.

Speaking in favour, Edward Romaine of Lyons Bowe solicitors, who has been helping Ram with his application, said: “This is a popular and well known kebab van that has been trading in Wells for six years. Mr Ibrahim wants to bring back a well loved food outlet that has been sorely missed.”

Twelve councillors agreed to approve the application for a trial period, with one abstention.