Shops get set to reopen doors
HIGH street shops in Wells are preparing to open again on Monday (June 15) with new safety measures in place, and no car parking charges in Mendip District Council car parks.
In the run-up to reopening, the district council has been offering businesses advice on safety issues, social distancing and signage, using monies provided by the European Regional Development Fund for Reopening High Streets Safely.
It has also announced that market stallholders will pay no rent throughout June and July, and all Mendip-operated pay and display car parks will remain free for the foreseeable future.
To help the high street thrive, while reducing the spread of coronavirus, shoppers are asked to:
• Carry hand sanitiser with them
• Stay two metres apart
• Follow the guidance displayed in shops
• Cashless payments, or exact change only
• Dispose of rubbish carefully (especially any gloves or masks, as they should not be placed in recycling bins as they cannot be recycled through conventional facilities)
• Look out for cyclists and other pedestrians
• Be patient
Further businesses, such as restaurants and pubs, hairdressers and nail salons, could start to open in July, dependent on government advice.
More information and advice for businesses, guidance for shoppers, or residents with concerns is available at mendip.gov.uk/reopenhighstreet