Wells beat weather to make progress in cup competitions

November 30 2019
Wells beat weather to make progress in cup competitions

WELLS 1st team have had several games called off in the past month due to the wet weather.

But they have had two good wins in cup games that were played, beating Corsham 4-0 in the Les Phillips Cup and Bishop Sutton 4-1 in the Premier Cup, before a stalemate against Hengrove in the league.

In the game at Corsham on October 30, Wells took the lead with their first attack. After great defensive play by Charlie Crook to win the ball back, he found Craig Herrod, who still had a lot to do but drifted inside two defenders before caressing the ball back across the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

Tom Hill doubled the lead 13 minutes later, sweeping the ball brilliantly into the far corner from a half-clearance.

Corsham went down to ten men after a late challenge by Ashley Alchin on Ross Padfield saw the referee produce a red card.

Wells scored twice more in the second half, Harry Foster tucking home the rebound after Herrod had hit the bar, and Harvey Hadrill calmly slotting the ball under the advancing keeper after being set free by Lee Cox.

In their cup game against Bishop Sutton on November 12, Wells took the lead after just five minutes, Craig Herrod curling the ball into the far top corner from the edge of the 18-yard box. Within ten minutes Tom Hill added a second after good work from Ross Padfield, Charlie Crook and Herrod.

Harry Foster smashed a half-volley into the top corner from 25 yards to put Wells 3-0 up early in the second half.

A fourth followed when Ben Amghar played a brilliant ball to Herrod, who unselfishly laid the ball to Foster in front of an open goal to net his second of the game and Wells’ fourth.

Bishop Sutton grabbed a consolation goal three minutes from time.

“Craig Herrod was man of the match after he started the scoring and then went on to assist the other three goals, a brilliant individual performance in a great team display,” said Wells manager Nathan Truckle.

Back in league action on November 16, Wells played out an entertaining 0-0 draw at home to Hengrove.

Kieran Davis, Craig Herrod and Charlie Crook all came close, and Harvey Hadrill was unlucky to see the ball smash against the bar from a fierce strike from 20 yards with the keeper stranded.

On 78 minutes a great through ball from Tom Hill freed Harry Foster but he shot straight at the keeper when one on one.

Six minutes later a sharp Hengrove counter-attack saw the ball squared to their centre forward who should have done better but he fired high and wide from the penalty spot.

The last chance was a brilliant solo effort from Crook that saw him win the ball back on the halfway line before he evaded four Hengrove challenges and then fired narrowly over from 30 yards.

“It was an entertaining game for a 0-0 result with both teams playing the right way and having chances to take the three points,” said Truckle.