What's On in August
• Free family creative workshop at Wells Cathedral: ‘Working with Paper’. Have a go at origami, kirigami, pop-up cards and mindfulness colouring. Sessions from 10.30am and 2pm in the Education Room. No booking required. www.wellscathedral.org.uk
• Opening of the Firefighting in the Mendips exhibition at Wells & Mendip Museum. Continues until September 13.
• Phoenix Brass Band will be performing at Wells Bandstand in the Recreation Ground, 3pm-5pm. Free
• Summer Family Fun Day at The Bishop’s Palace. Taking place from 10am-4pm, Family Fun Day is included with standard admission
• Wells Cathedral Lunchtime Organ Recital. Join Barry Rose, OBE (formerly of Guildford, St Paul’s and St Albans Cathedrals) at Wells Cathedral for a lunchtime organ recital in the Quire, 1.05pm-1.45pm. Admission is free with a retiring collection in aid of Wells Cathedral Music.
• An evening of Outdoor Family Theatre with Boxtree Productions’ new rendition of Wind in the Willows at The Bishop’s Palace.
• Railwells model railway exhibition, Wells Town Hall, 10.30am-5.30pm. Adults £6, wheelchair user and unaccompanied children £4, accompanied children free.
• Mid Somerset Oxfam Group Quiz Night at the Britannia Inn, Wells, 7pm for 7.30pm start, teams of up to 6 people, £2.50 per person. To book a table please ring Terry on 01749 672342.
• Railwells model railway exhibition, Wells Town Hall, 10.30am-4.30pm. Adults £6, wheelchair user and unaccompanied children £4, accompanied children free.
• Mendip Brass Band will be performing at Wells Bandstand in the Recreation Ground, 3pm-5pm. Free.
• Westfield Vets open day, 10.30am-4pm.
• Gorgons Carnival Club cash bingo at the Britannia Inn, Wells, 7pm.
• Gorgons Carnival Club monthly fun for all the family quiz, at the Britannia Inn, Wells. All ages welcome, quiz starts at 7.30pm. £2 per person, ideally teams of four.
• Yeovil Town Band will be performing at Wells Bandstand in the Recreation Ground, 3pm-5pm. Free.
• Rare Plant Fair, Bishop’s Palace, 10am-6pm. Entrance £5 which includes entrance to the Palace and Gardens.
• Wells Cathedral free family creative workshop: ‘Shapes and Geometric Art’. Follow the shapes trail; take inspiration from the cathedral’s architecture and create your own tracery window. Sessions from 10.30am and 2pm in the Education Room. No booking required. www.wellscathedral.org.uk
• Bowlore Medieval will be taking up residence in The Bishop's Palace Gardens on August Bank Holiday Weekend (August 26-28), with archery and sword displays.
• Antiques, Crafts & Collectors Market, Wells Town Hall, 10am-4pm. Admission free.
• Annual Fete at the Britannia Inn, Wells, to raise money for Dogs For Good and Gorgons Carnival Club, 2pm-5pm, wth a disco in the evening.
• Gillingham Imperial Silver Band will be performing at Wells Bandstand in the Recreation Ground, 3pm-5pm. Free.
• Annual Wells Moat Boat Race around the Bishop’s Palace Moat. From 11am. The fun includes music, stalls and bouncy castle.
• Fed up with voting tactically? Mary Southcott of the Labour Campaign for Electoral Reform will explain how to make votes matter. Wells Town Hall, 7pm. Admission is free. Refreshments will be by donation. More information: email@example.com
• Wells Table Tennis Club, Seager Hall, Union Street, Wells, 6.30pm-9pm.
• Tai Chi For Health & Vitality, Westbury Village Hall, 12-1pm. Any age or ability. Drop in, pay as you go, £5.